September 20, 2006

Acquired: One (1) gutfull

Filed under: news of the day — lexifab @ 7:01 pm

I have had one of those days. Nothing I’ve started today has worked out, partly due to indecisiveness, stupidity or laziness on the part of others, and partly because I have developed a very bad mood in response.

I am tired and I am grumpy and I would like to go home, but I have to wait for at least three meetings to finish and try to wring some answers out of people.

Update: It’s now an hour later. I managed to get one out of three. The others went straight home from their meetings. Fuck ’em, then. I’m off home.

1. Yay for going home!

Comment by emmajeans — September 20, 2006 @ 8:46 pm

2. my sentiments exactly

Comment by Alix — September 21, 2006 @ 5:22 am

3. The trouble with going home – and yes, I know exactly how dismally pessimistic this sounds – is that sooner or later you have to come back to work, and all the same problems are still there.

The difference is, of course, whether you get enough sleep in the intervening period. This morning, the jury’s still out on that one.

Comment by lexifab — September 21, 2006 @ 9:35 am

4. Can you tried the power of a memo with a set deadline for the provision of answers? It won’t make any difference to these people – they still won’t give you answers – but you’ll have written proof that it’s their fault. [See, I work in the public service too…]

Comment by Andrea — September 21, 2006 @ 2:56 pm

5. Nah, with the exception of the guy I actually caught up with, they’re all Senior Managers with three dice in “Immunity from Evidence”.

Your suggestion is, however, a useful tactic upon which I have frequently relied.

Comment by lexifab — September 21, 2006 @ 5:35 pm

6. sometimes enough caffiene is an acceptible substitute for “enough sleep”

i think you need a minion whose sole job it is to go and bug people about stuff for you. they could carry a clipboard. then people would know that they were doing something important.

Comment by emmajeans — September 21, 2006 @ 8:02 pm