May 6, 2008

Ouch! Keep your grindstone away from my nose!

Filed under: fitter/happier,friends,property magnatism,workin for the man — lexifab @ 10:59 am

So. Holiday over. Back at work. Finding it hard to care. No surprises there.

Coffs Harbour turned on cool but otherwise perfect weather for our stay. Idyllic and magical as always, and the surf was, if anything, better than last year. Would have been marginally better had Andrew and Von been able to join us, but they have stuff that needs doing, so we struggled on manfully in their absence, playing ping pong (the boys), doing lots of shopping (the girls) and making a day trip out to Armidale to visit the Fellowses (the boys again). It was odd actually seeing Amanda face to face for the first time in five or six years, considering we’ve been chatting pretty regularly through online games during that time. But we had a good time meeting the kids, catching up with Chris and Amanda, making the happy discovery that our old kitten Em is still around, and being introduced to Snuffkin, Destroyer of Worlds (an Irish Setter-Golden Retriever cross, one of the most terrifying breeding schemes imaginable). It was well worth a visit, and now (I think) I could actually find the place again the next time we happen to be heading north, so we should be able to manage more visits in the future.

We also saw Iron Man (short review: much, much better than it has any right to be, and stay for the end of the credits), visited the Big Banana – Evan, Sara and I went ice-skating! - and reignited our plans to get into property investment, even going so far as to inspect a couple of places. We have to do some research and planning before we get underway, but that will probably get underway some time before the end of June. Exciting! Hopefully we’ll be so successful we’ll all be able to retire early. It’s nice to dream, at least.

But in the meantime I have an internal press release to finalise and a presentation to prepare, so I guess I’ll just go do that.

Dammit.

1. It was great to see youse! Hmm, I had something else I wanted to say but I have forgotten. Oh, that’s right- and so trivial- Amanda has gotten sucked into the open beta for ‘Age of Conan’ and is sure to send you one of those trial account things when the real version appears. You may be pleased to know that there are indeed nipples.

And I am wandering around the web making lots of links to my most recent startled cry of rationalist alarm. Hope you don’t mind!

Comment by Chris Fellows — May 6, 2008 @ 11:52 am

2. how did the driving to coffs go? specifically how many nights did it take? we are thinking of heading up that way soon-ish.

Comment by steve — May 6, 2008 @ 12:25 pm

3. As a non-sequiter, the trade-name Lexifab has been hijacked for a mind-numbing Cisra puzzle competition 🙂 I’d Sue.

p.s. Ronald Laura, I would agree is a bit of an idiot!

Comment by Marco Parigi — May 6, 2008 @ 1:00 pm

4. Steve – the travelling was fine, though The Boy was well and truly over it by about the six hour mark. We tended to start pretty early in the morning so that he’d spend more time sleeping and have someone in the back seat to distract him if he started to get agitated, but really he was pretty well behaved. We also broke the trip up each way with an overnight stop in Cessnock, as well as more-frequent-than-we’d-otherwise-bother-with stops along the way. But overall it wasn’t that rough.

Clam – Go right ahead. That guy sounds like a bit of a tool, all right. And Conan wouldn’t be Conan without exposed boobies, so yay!

Marco – Thanks for pointing that out. Lasting internet fame is mine at last. Also, I thought just now that I’d figured that one out but it turns out I was wrong, or at least not right enough. Yet.

Comment by lexifab — May 6, 2008 @ 5:24 pm

5. Addendum to Clam – Not that I should be the one asking this (ahem), but is “socioaffective” even a word? Or is it, as I suspect, a big red flashing warning light about the bizarre social engineering theora of said crackpot?

Comment by lexifab — May 6, 2008 @ 5:29 pm

6. I think, as one Lexifabricographer to another, that if you want ‘socioaffective’ to be a word, go for it! In the original abstract it was spelled ‘socio-affective’ in some places. I figured it was probably perfectly reasonable social science jargon, insofar as any of that stuff is reasonable. 🙂

Comment by Chris Fellows — May 6, 2008 @ 8:27 pm

7. Hmmm. Your enthusiastic response to topic #1 prompts me to say, irresponsibly, ‘PST for screenshot link’

Comment by Chris Fellows — May 6, 2008 @ 8:45 pm