May 2, 2010

A quick note for Herr exClam

Filed under: things to get mad about — lexifab @ 10:43 pm

A slightly pyrrhic outcome, but a win nonetheless in Peter Watts’ trial. Certainly much better than his trial might have gone, given the circumstances that led to it.

1. Thanks for the quick note, Lexifab 2.0! Not being sent to jail for the crime of being assaulted by a pack of guvmint goons is a small victory, but as you say a victory nonetheless… :/

Comment by His former Clamness — May 3, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

2. There’s also the small matter of his felony conviction meaning he can’t enter the United States again (or transit through it to international destinations). Hopefully they will have the means to appeal.

Comment by lexifab — May 3, 2010 @ 8:14 pm

3. The more of these cases I read (and the more the people I work with who go there for business/conferences tell me of their horror stories), the more my desire to visit the US dwindles….Canada is still on my list though.

Comment by jenny — May 4, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

4. Meatspace travel is so-last-phase-of-human-evolution anyway… after all, you can cross the US coast to coast with a nice 360 image of the scenery every 10 metres on Google Earth, and you can meet as many random Americans as you like right here on the Interwebz.

Comment by His former Clamness — May 4, 2010 @ 3:53 pm

5. All true, but not likely to result in me riding on Space Mountain at Disneyland or walking the dealers’ hall at GenCon. However, I can afford to give the States a few years to get its collective shit together before I make a call on it.

(I want to meet some of those random Americans face to face. They seem nice on their blogs!)

Comment by lexifab — May 4, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

6. My apologies in advance for what may turn out to be a very long and too-much-informationy and only tangentially related comment – the connection being ‘places I am afraid to go’.
    I have never watched an episode of South Park and have never had the time of day for it but I reckon the caving of its corporate masters on the ‘Muhammad in a bear suit’ business is appalling.
    Not very long ago my discomfort at this lame cowardice would have been tempered with a great deal of admiration of the way Muslims who were prepared to stand up for what they believed in had gotten the whole world to obey a relatively minor tenet of their religion by killing quite a small number of people… (“Why can’t we be a religion for Wookiees, instead of, like Nietzsche said, a religion for Droids?”) …but I have just realised that most of my longstanding admiration for Islam has evaporated. This didn’t happen (I think)when I decided I wasn’t a Christian anymore (Christmas 2007) but about the time I realised I had stopped wishing I still was one. This was at the time of the Mary Mackillop canonisation business when my main thought was: “This is ridiculous. I am *so* relieved I don’t feel obligated to defend it.”
    Also this year for the first time I have several students who I have only ever seen the eyes and hands of. I always thought I would be okay with that but they are starting to creep me out. I am thinking of getting a ‘V’ mask and wearing it at work so I am equally disguised. I think regular readers of Lexifabricographer are the best people to advise me on whether this is a good thing or do or not so I will await their judgment.

Comment by His former Clamness — May 6, 2010 @ 7:11 am

7. Re: V mask – kind of a cool idea, but two problems I can foresee. The first, and most boring, is that it will probably not mesh well with your conditions of employment, or at least the interpretation of them applied by your colleagues of a supervisory bent. The second is that you really, really need to have a voice like Sam Neill if you’re going to carry off masked-based pontification. I can see no reason not to wear novelty goggle-glasses, however.

The South Park thing is just another, albeit egregious, example of capitulation in the face of extremist opinions. It seems to me that there is a grave lack of moderation, respect and self-discipline in much of what passes for political and media discourse these days (a criticism that applies equally to a lot of religious debate), so that voices preaching common sense and walk-a-mile-in-their-shoes consideration are drowned out by loud-mouthed bigots of one stripe or another. Presumably it was always there and I am just getting old, but it does start to rankle. I will see if I can marshall my thoughts on the subject.

Comment by lexifab — May 6, 2010 @ 11:13 am

8. No to the V-Mask, yes to the goggles. Really, there is no way to avoid the political correctness police in an official sense, but it is not unheard of to mock the head to toe burqa in an unofficial sense.

Comment by Marco Parigi — May 6, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

9. BTW I have no further desire for overseas travel, since the advent of the internet (and the mobile phone) the novelty and excitement has gone but not the possibility of being stuck somewhere you don’t want to be.

Comment by Marco Parigi — May 6, 2010 @ 4:53 pm

10. Eh. I still like being in beautiful places, and despite what the Department of Tourism’s best efforts would have you believe, not all of the most beautiful places are actually in this country.

Admittedly, when we finally swallow up New Zealand a lot more of them will be.

Comment by lexifab — May 6, 2010 @ 10:49 pm