November 1, 2012

Progress Check – First day on the new project

Filed under: wordsmithery — lexifab @ 11:12 pm

I kicked off the novel rewrite tonight with a slowish but decent start of 1150 words, beginning with this line:

On the day Nyssa Cole triggered her second personal apocalypse, all she expected was to make a sale and be done by lunch.

I’m not doing NaNoWriMo, but I hope that I’ll manage NaNo numbers on at least a few days. That line notwithstanding, the opening scene starts off slow before it picks up pace. So far I’ve only written the slow bit. I think it will certainly need to be trimmed, but I needed to ease my way through the setup first. And while technically this is a second draft, in reality I don’t expect to be reusing a lot of text from the first run-through. Too much needs to change, especially in the early sections where I didn’t know the characters well enough, so this effectively is a complete rewrite.

Progress check: 1150/90000.

1. Good opening line. I like it.

Comment by Dan Watson — November 3, 2012 @ 12:09 am

2. Thanks Dan. I wish I could say the rest of the chapter so far lives up to it, but it will get there in the end.

Comment by lexifab — November 3, 2012 @ 8:17 pm

3. “Nyssa Cole” is an anagram of “classy one”.

Comment by Chriplodocus — November 5, 2012 @ 10:37 pm

4. Hmm. Not entirely appropriate for her 🙂 Not inappropriate either, but she’d turn her nose up at the description.

Make of this what you will: her middle name is Galadriel (but if you tell anyone, she’ll be super-cross at you)

Comment by lexifab — November 6, 2012 @ 1:27 pm

5. Nyssa, Oregon, bills itself as “The Thunderegg Capital of the World”.

Comment by Dr Clam — November 6, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

6. “Nyssa Galadriel Cole” is an anagram of “lasagna yodeller [sic]”.
    (Also: “alley orgies scandal” if she prefers.)

Comment by Chriplodocus — November 6, 2012 @ 6:04 pm

7. Clam – I am inordinately glad that the warring geode nations have finally set aside their differences and established a community

Chriplodocus – Yeah, probably more that second one than the first. Nyssa don’t yodel.

Comment by Lexifab — November 7, 2012 @ 11:24 am

8. Aha, I see… You’re following up the Month of Relentless Positivity with the Month of Ominous Silence. Kewl!

Comment by Dr Clam — November 13, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

9. I was just going to comment on the same thing!….ommminousss hummmmmmmm.

Comment by Jenny — November 13, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

10. I’m endeavouring to spend my evenings focusing on the novel. So far it’s…not working as well as the previous project. But I will redouble my efforts.

(PS Clam – I am also trying to power through my critique-read of 99 Cities. I might possibly finish by this time next week, if not sooner).

Comment by Lexifab — November 14, 2012 @ 11:55 am

11. How’s your complete works of Chesterton reading going, by the way? You could probably make your target of 80 books through him alone, as he wrote a lot of short ones…

Re: PS: Hurarah!

Comment by Dr Clam — November 15, 2012 @ 8:28 am

12. Slowly. I dip in and out of it. And I think the formatting of the ebook version I have is such that I can’t tell when I have finished one book and moved onto the next… (No really, it’s weird)

Comment by lexifab — November 16, 2012 @ 9:22 am

13. …the formatting of the ebook version I have is such that I can’t tell when I have finished one book and moved onto the next…

This should be a lesson to all authors of the continuing relevtnce of the words “The End”.

Comment by Dr Clam — November 16, 2012 @ 10:09 am